Baby Prams: Choose The Best Baby Pram For Your Needs
Baby Prams: Choose The Best Baby Pram For Your Needs
There are so many baby prams on the market, parents are confused and choosing the wrong one for their specific needs. Bubs n Grubs offer below a detailed guide to help new parents choose the best Baby Pram or Stroller for your specific needs.
At Bubs n Grubs, we know that the statistics show that mums buy 5 baby prams/strollers over the lifetime of a child. This is a complete waste of your hard earned money.
We don’t want you to become a statistic. At the end of the day, everyone has different needs. This is not a statistic that baby stores should be proud of. It means that stores are NOT listening to the customers needs and giving them the right advice. My professional team at Bubs n Grubs are highly trained to ask the right questions and help you choose the best baby pram for your specific needs.
Below, I will walk you though the types of Baby Prams and strollers as well as what to look for so that you do not become a statistic. It is important that you choose the best baby pram for your specific needs.
“We can save you money with a great price, but if you buy 5 prams – all those savings are gone! This is why we are so passionate about helping our customers to choose the best baby pram for your specific needs.”
The most common reasons we hear that mums go through the process of buying one pram after the next are:
- The First one was chosen more because of the fashionable look or colour rather than practicality.
- They found it too hard to fold.
- They found it too hard to unfold.
- It was too large to manoeuvre through shopping aisles and checkouts.
- It was too large when folded in the boot with groceries or traveling on holidays.
- Too heavy to lift into boot of the car.
- Shopping basket too small.
These are things that you must consider when you are trying to choose the best baby pram for your needs.
The Different Types of Baby Prams and Strollers…
- Travel Systems (Prams or Strollers that are compatible with a baby capsule).
- Pramettes (pram/stroller combo).
- Umbrella strollers (fold up easily, like an umbrella).
- Layback strollers (baby can sit up, or lay down).
- Jogger strollers (with three wheels, rather than four).
- A double stroller for twins, or if you already have a toddler when the new baby arrives. These can be either side by side or tandem. (one in front of the other).
Choosing The Best Baby Pram / Stroller That Will Suit You?
There’s probably no one stroller that’s going to work for you in every single situation, so you need to consider what you’re most likely to be doing, which would work best in your situation. With so many baby prams on the market, this can be a challenge. Especially if this is your first! Remember, Bubs n Grubs staff deal with this every day and are able to assist you to choose the best baby pram for your needs, which is going to be different from your best friends needs.
- Where are you going to be using it? For shopping, you need one that’s not too wide or bulky (or it won’t get around small aisles). I has to have a good size basket.
- If you’re going to do a lot of jogging or walking, inflatable tyres make for a more comfortable ride.
- If you have a car, it needs to fit in the boot. If you’ll be catching public transport, something light and easily foldable is important.
- You might not have taken much notice of the footpaths around your area before, but what are they like? If you’re going to walk to the shops or the park, big wheels make the ride over rough ground easier and more comfortable.
- Will you get enough use out of a pram, or could you get by with a pramette (stroller/pram combo)?
- Do you want a Travel System with a capsule or bassinet?
Bubs n Grubs on Australian Safety standards
Strollers sold in Australia must meet certain safety requirements based on the year 2000 version of the Australian/New Zealand stroller standard, AS/NZS 2088. Most manufacturers have their strollers certified to the 2000 version, however the full version was revised in 2009. It’s largely the same as the 2000 version but addresses emerging trends in stroller design and includes some new voluntary safety requirements that address recently identified hazards.
Several models of baby prams don’t pass the 2009 standard. Many fail a newly included test that checks that the loops formed by the harness straps, when buckled together, aren’t a strangulation hazard. It can be dangerous for a child to slip through such a loop and get caught, as was found in a tragic fatality in 2005. Children are most at risk from this hazard when left unattended or when the harness is left buckled when not in use, so you can reduce the risk with practical steps. Nevertheless, there’s no need for this problem to exist.
What To Look For and Consider when looking at baby prams.
Car boot size: Measure it to make sure the stroller fits without needing the wheels removed.
Weight: Try folding it in the shop and see if you can lift and carry it comfortably.
Brake locks: Get an idea of how well they work by applying the brakes while you try to push the handle.
Straps: Give them a tug to check they’re secure and the seat doesn’t come away from the frame.
Wheels: Feel how soft they are. this is important if it does not have suspension.
To help you to Choose The Best Baby Pram, we suggest that you also consider:
- Are there protruding parts or ones that could pose a choking risk?
- Are there gaps that could trap your, or your child’s fingers?
- Are there sharp edges or points?
- Is there a child-resistant mechanism for locks?
- And is the stroller stable enough not to tip easily?
Here are some features to look for to choose the best baby pram for you.
- Wheels: Large ones tend to be better on kerbs or stairs; pneumatic (inflatable) ones generally give a more comfy ride. In a pramette, fixed rear wheels will become front wheels if you’re using it with the handle reversed, making it more difficult to steer. It will be easier to maneuver if you can lock or swivel both front and back wheels. In a three-wheel jogger stroller, look for one where the front wheel can swivel easily, it can make maneuvering easier, and some can also be locked in the forward direction, which is useful over rough terrain.
- Harness: A five-point harness with two shoulder straps (preferably attached to the backrest at shoulder level; padded ones are softer), a waist strap and a crotch strap, with adjustable length as your baby grows. The straps should be easy to adjust and the buckles easy to use (for you, but not your child).
- Brakes: Rear brakes; it’s handy if they’re linked, so the left and right brakes can be locked with a single action. Some also have front brakes — particularly handy on a pramette, as it means you can always lock the brakes nearest you (at the back) whichever way it is facing (pram or stroller mode). Locks that you can activate and release with your feet prevent you bending, but make sure your feet fit under them easily. Push on and Push off type ones are much easier to use – especially if you wear sandals or thongs.
- Adjustable height handle: This is handy for particularly short or tall people, as well as if two people of different heights will be using the stroller at times.
- Reversible handle: It can be convenient to have either head or feet end of your baby facing forward – unless the brakes are on only one set of wheels. Check in the store how easy it is the reverse the handle.
- Adjustable backrest: Some have an upright backrest that can also move to at least one semi-reclined position; some can be fully reclined (best for sleeping). A three position adjustment makes the stroller more versatile.
- Footrest: Reduces the chance of injury from your child’s feet touching the ground or getting caught in the front wheel.
- Front bar: A detachable bar your child can hold onto. But they’re usually not secure, so it’s not safe to use them to lift the stroller.
- Storage: A basket under the stroller is useful for carrying things like nappies, baby food, clothes and your handbag. Check its size and weight limit – and how accessible it is. A back pocket or pouch is good for lightweight items.
- Canopy: That you can extend for shade or shelter. Some have a viewing window so when it’s extended you can still see your child.
- Leg/boot cover: It’s a bag-like attachment you can pull over the child’s legs for protection against the weather. Often available as an extra, check the instructions or ask your retailer.
- Rain cover: A clear plastic you can drape over the stroller in wet weather. Again, check the instructions or with your retailer whether it’s available as an optional extra.
- Wrist strap: A leash on the handlebar of jogger strollers that you can loop around your wrist in case you lose your grip while jogging.
- Tyre pump: A hand-operated pump for inflating pneumatic tyres; some strollers have a clamp or holder for one.
A Travel System Or Not?
One of the first decisions to be made when you are trying to choose the best baby pram is if you want a pram that can be used with a baby capsule or bassinet. These are referred to as travel systems.
A lot of parents these days love the idea of having a baby pram or stroller that can have a baby capsule click straight in and out of both the car and the pram. The main benefit is that you do not have to wake baby up each time you pull them in and out of both the pram and the car. You just remove the capsule with baby in it and move them as required including carrying them into the house or where ever you are going. Once they outgrow the capsule, they are ready to move to a convertible booster seat. They key is to choose a baby pram that is compatible with the safest baby capsule available. This can be a confusing subject on it’s own. Our experts can help you with this also.
This is only the beginning. Come into store at Bubs n Grubs and let one of the friendly Bubs n Grubs trained professionals assess your specific needs and help you choose the best baby pram from day 1 so that you do not become a statistic.
Right Now, we have a huge sale on Baby Prams and Strollers. Once you choose the best baby pram for your needs – act fast and don’t miss out!
If you are local to our store – come in and meet our professional team who will spend time to assist you to choose the best baby pram for your needs in of our range of baby prams.
These Deals are Only While Stocks Last.
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to call our store!
Don’t forget, We will beat ANY Price! So if you find a price out there in the market, that we have not – let us know and I will smash it in line with our Advertised Price Guarantee!
Choosing the Best Travel Cot is important and can either make or break your experience when travelling with baby. You not only need to think about the issues when travelling on holidays but also at using it at home as well as short visits with family. Parents often use a Travel Cot also known asRead more...
Buying a pram is one of the most important decisions you will have to make when having a newborn baby. You will use your pram daily. The last thing you want to be doing is fighting with your pram in a car park trying to fold or unfold it. Or putting your back out becauseRead more...
Choosing the best travel pram or stroller for your needs is probably one of the most important decisions you will make. If you get it right, then travel life as a parent will become much easier for both you and your child. On the Flip Side, you will avoid a lot of pain. Everyone’s NeedsRead more...
Free Car Seat Installation In Brisbane Purchase your Car Seat or Child Restraint from Bubs n Grubs and Receive 1 x Free Car Seat Installation at our Brisbane Baby Store in Morningside. Bubs n Grubs is a Professional Member of ACRI and have multiple trained and accredited Car Seat Installation Professionals. It’s a fact thatRead more...
Maxi Cosi Vs Britax Safe n Sound Comparison In this article, we reveal our Maxi Cosi Vs Britax Safe n Sound Comparison below. This is in response to customers asking why we don’t sell the Britax Safe n Sound Car Seat Range. We were not paid a cent to write this article as we haveRead more...
The Babyhood Doppio Twin Pram Review For growing families who want to get out and about, double strollers are a real lifesaver. Whether you’re pregnant with twins, are planning to have your children close together or already have two little ones, a double stroller is one of the best investments you can make and theRead more...
Financial Stress During Pregnancy. It’s no secret that having a baby these days can cause financial stress during pregnancy. We also know that stress during pregnancy of any kind is not a good thing. That being for mum or the baby (or dad too for that matter). It’s not just the financial stress, there’s anxiety thatRead more...
Better Than Bugaboo Cameleon That’s what this Owner of the Bugaboo Cameleon for their first child said in a review on our site after purchasing a completely different brand and model for their second child and using both! I have previously written about how important it is to choose the best pram for your specific needsRead more...
8 Reasons NOT to Buy A Cot with Trundle Drawer Attached Revealed below: In this article, we reveal the 8 Reasons NOT to Buy A Cot with Trundle Drawer Attached. Many Baby Cots, particularly cheaper ones from online only stores and market places such as ebay are selling cots with trundle drawers attached to the cot.Read more...
How to Clean, Service and Maintain a Pram or Stroller We are often asked How to Clean, Service and Maintain a Pram or Stroller by parents who want to look after their pram and want it to last to avoid replacing them when it could have been avoided. Just like a car, no matter whatRead more...
Baby Prams: Choose The Best Baby Pram For Your Needs There are so many baby prams on the market, parents are confused and choosing the wrong one for their specific needs. Bubs n Grubs offer below a detailed guide to help new parents choose the best Baby Pram or Stroller for your specific needs. At BubsRead more...
Plastic and Your Baby One of the genuine commons concerns new parents worry about is plastic and your baby. Lots of items these days are made from plastic and with all of the research over the years it has become evident that it is an important subject that can not be ignored. The good newsRead more...
What You Need When Setting Up a Baby Nursery We often get asked “What do I need when setting up a Baby Nursery“. We have compiled a list of the most common items needed to get your Baby Nursery started… The last thing you want to do is get caught out when you bring baby homeRead more...
Child Safety and Practical Tips for Furniture Before buying your child furniture, there are several child safety and practical measures to be taken into account to ensure the safety of your child as well as the practicality of the item. This also applies to other furniture around the home that your child will come intoRead more...
Baby Checklist This handy baby checklist may hep make things a little easier. Please ask any of our friendly staff for assistance with any of these items. The Well Dressed Baby Singlets…… 4-6 Bodysuits… 6 Bonnets…… 2 Jackets/ cardigans…2 Booties…….. 2 Socks……….. 3 Mittens………. 2 Baby wraps…4-6 Shawl…. …….1 Formal Outfits …1 Soft leather shoes…1 ChangeRead more...
Childproofing your home Childproofing your home can be a big task, so we’ve provided these easy-to-read home safety tips. We’ve listed necessary information for helping safeguard against hidden hazards in different rooms. Our room-by-room reference guide helps you to keep what’s most important to you safe – your children. Childproofing The Kitchen There are moreRead more...
ISOGO is an ISOFIX compatible system for Maxi-Cosi child restraints. As experts in child mobility, Dorel is an international leader in the production and testing of products featuring ISOFIX compatibility. Dorel’s ISOGO is a simple and user friendly latch system that enables parents and care givers to safely connect their Maxi-Cosi child restraints to their vehicle’s ISOFIXRead more...
In Australia Baby Car Seats are mandatory, but not all baby car seats are even! I don’t know any parent who likes to think about the possibility of having a car accident. At the same time you want to do all you can to protect your child in any situation that requires it. Side-impact collisions are especiallyRead more...
Baby Swings That Help Babies Sleep Baby Swings can be the most effective sleeping aid for a baby having difficulties sleeping as long as the right type is chosen for your specific needs. Bubs n Grubs continually has lots of people asking if they actually need a baby swing. Inevitably, you will need to rock your baby, in orderRead more...
Choosing The Right Maternity Wear Bubs n Grubs know too well that one of the most frustrating issues for pregnant mums is the subject of Maternity wear. First of all, there is not much of a selection of maternity wear on the market in Australia that is flattering. Secondly, sizing is confusing. In this article below, BubsRead more...
Choosing Cots – Updated 18/01/2020 Babies spend a great deal of time sleeping in their cots. This is perhaps the only place that they spend time where they are not constantly monitored. Even with a good Quality baby monitor, the baby cot must be a very safe haven for your baby. This still is anRead more...
How to Choose a High Chair When looking for a suitable High Chair for your child it can be confusing to say the least! Most new parents find it comforting and soothing to nurse their newborn in their arms for the first few months at least. However, when your baby hits the 4-8 months mark,Read more...
Breast Feeding Chairs – Why? I was working on our shop floor on the week end and realised that a lot of parents (particularly first timers) were asking one simple question when discussing breast feeding chairs. Why do I actually need a Glider Chair / Breast Feeding Chair? There are so many reasons that mostRead more...