What You Need When Setting Up a Baby Nursery
What You Need When Setting Up a Baby Nursery
We often get asked “What do I need when setting up a Baby Nursery“. We have compiled a list of the most common items needed to get your Baby Nursery started… The last thing you want to do is get caught out when you bring baby home so we thought we would make it easier for you.
- Cot – Make sure it has been tested properly to safety standards, is a reputable brand in Australia of high quality.
- Cot mattress – To ensure the proper fit, purchase the mattress with the Cot: You should only be able to slide one finger between the mattress and the rails. Get a Mattress that meets the new Australian Standards. There is only one brand at the moment that we know of.
- 5 Cot sheets
- Cot valance
- Bumper pad – This should be removed when your baby is able to get into a crawling position since se or she could use it as a step. Mesh cot bumpers ones are great as they collapse if stood on.
- Blanket or sleeping bag – If a blanket is used it should not be placed any higher than the baby’s chest and it should be tucked into the sides of the mattress. we highly recommend the love to swaddle products based on the great feedback from our customers!
- Musical mobile for entertainment and helping baby sleep. Also looks great in the baby nursery!
- Changing table – with protective pad and shelves for storing baby items. An alternative is a chest changer with changing pad on top and drawers for storing baby items.
- Proper Breastfeeding Glider Chair.
- Nursing pillow / Breast Feeding Pillow
- A cot light that will play soothing music for baby or a baby monitor that does this as well.
- Digital Baby monitor
- Toy chest or basket
- Wall shelves or hooks – for decorative items and stuffed animals.
- Window treatments – Once baby is mobile you’ll want to make sure any curtain or blind cords are out of their reach because the string poses a strangulation hazard. Window Tinting is a great way to help cool a room also.
- Clothes basket
- Lamp and night light
Making the Baby Nursery Safe
Baby Nursery Safety Basics
You and your baby will be spending a lot of time in the baby nursery, so take steps now to make sure it’s a secure environment for your little one. Here are some safety tips:
- Keep curtain and blind cords out of baby’s reach from the cot and changing table.
- Place a working smoke detector in or near the baby nursery.
- Make sure that window guards are securely in place to prevent a child from falling out the window.
- Never place a cot, playpen, or other children’s furniture near a window.
- Put plug protectors in unused electrical outlets.
- Make sure your child’s toy box doesn’t have a heavy, hinged lid that could trap your child.
- Use a cool-air humidifier instead of a vaporizer–to avoid burns. Clean it frequently, and empty it when not in use to prevent bacteria and mould growth.
The Changing Table
- Use a safety belt on the changing table.
- Keep baby powder and other supplies out of baby’s reach when changing.
- Never leave a child unattended on a changing table.
- Put carpet or a non-skid rug beneath the cot and changing table.
- Remove bumper pads, toys, pillows, and stuffed animals from the cot by the time baby can pull up to stand.
- Remove all cot gyms, hanging toys, and decorations from the cot by the time baby can get up on his hands and knees.
- Make sure the cot has no elevated corner posts or decorative cut outs in the end panels.
- Fit the cot mattress snugly, without any gaps, so baby can’t slip in between the crack and the cot side.
- Make sure slats on cot are no more than 2 3/8 inches apart.
- Make sure that all screws, bolts, and hardware — including mattress supports — are in tight to prevent the cot from collapsing.
- Make sure there are no plastic bags or other plastic material in or around the cot.
- Check the cot for small parts and pieces that baby could choke on.
- Make sure the night-light is not near or touching curtains or a bedspread where it could start a fire.
- To reduce the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome), put baby to sleep on his/her back in a cot with a firm, flat mattress — no soft bedding underneath him/her and make sure the mattress is a Breathe EZE.
DESIGNER BABY NURSERY PACKAGES made EASY!
From Ceiling to Floor!
It can be very time consuming and confusing when it comes to choosing the right products that are safe for your precious bundle of joy, a unique theme that your next door neighbour will envy and most importantly, not break your budget!
We have done all that hard work for you… from Ceiling to Floor! We have done the designing for you. Our complete Baby Nursery packages include everything you will need to set up your nursery and the best part is they start at only $999! Other Cots of the same quality with New Zealand Timber are worth more than this on their own!
Check out our fantastic Cot Package Deals on our Nursery Furniture Page and access the incredible deals by clicking the button below Now.
Choosing the Best Travel Cot is important and can either make or break your experience when travelling with baby. You not only need to think about the issues when travelling on holidays but also at using it at home as well as short visits with family. Parents often use a Travel Cot also knownRead more...
Buying a pram is one of the most important decisions you will have to make when having a newborn baby. You will use your pram daily. The last thing you want to be doing is fighting with your pram in a car park trying to fold or unfold it. Or putting your back out becauseRead more...
Choosing the best travel pram or stroller for your needs is probably one of the most important decisions you will make. If you get it right, then travel life as a parent will become much easier for both you and your child. On the Flip Side, you will avoid a lot of pain. Everyone’sRead more...
Free Car Seat Installation In Brisbane Purchase your Car Seat or Child Restraint from Bubs n Grubs and Receive 1 x Free Car Seat Installation at our Brisbane Baby Store in Morningside. Bubs n Grubs is a Professional Member of ACRI and have multiple trained and accredited Car Seat Installation Professionals. It’s aRead more...
Maxi Cosi Vs Britax Safe n Sound Comparison In this article, we reveal our Maxi Cosi Vs Britax Safe n Sound Comparison below. This is in response to customers asking why we don’t sell the Britax Safe n Sound Car Seat Range. We were not paid a cent to write this article as we haveRead more...
The Babyhood Doppio Twin Pram Review For growing families who want to get out and about, double strollers are a real lifesaver. Whether you’re pregnant with twins, are planning to have your children close together or already have two little ones, a double stroller is one of the best investments you can make andRead more...
Financial Stress During Pregnancy. It’s no secret that having a baby these days can cause financial stress during pregnancy. We also know that stress during pregnancy of any kind is not a good thing. That being for mum or the baby (or dad too for that matter). It’s not just the financial stress, there’s anxietyRead more...
Better Than Bugaboo Cameleon That’s what this Owner of the Bugaboo Cameleon for their first child said in a review on our site after purchasing a completely different brand and model for their second child and using both! I have previously written about how important it is to choose the best pram for your specificRead more...
8 Reasons NOT to Buy A Cot with Trundle Drawer Attached Revealed below: In this article, we reveal the 8 Reasons NOT to Buy A Cot with Trundle Drawer Attached. Many Baby Cots, particularly cheaper ones from online only stores and market places such as ebay are selling cots with trundle drawers attached to theRead more...
How to Clean, Service and Maintain a Pram or Stroller We are often asked How to Clean, Service and Maintain a Pram or Stroller by parents who want to look after their pram and want it to last to avoid replacing them when it could have been avoided. Just like a car, no matter whatRead more...
Baby Prams: Choose The Best Baby Pram For Your Needs There are so many baby prams on the market, parents are confused and choosing the wrong one for their specific needs. Bubs n Grubs offer below a detailed guide to help new parents choose the best Baby Pram or Stroller for your specific needs. AtRead more...
Plastic and Your Baby One of the genuine commons concerns new parents worry about is plastic and your baby. Lots of items these days are made from plastic and with all of the research over the years it has become evident that it is an important subject that can not be ignored. The good newsRead more...
What You Need When Setting Up a Baby Nursery We often get asked “What do I need when setting up a Baby Nursery“. We have compiled a list of the most common items needed to get your Baby Nursery started… The last thing you want to do is get caught out when you bring baby homeRead more...
Child Safety and Practical Tips for Furniture Before buying your child furniture, there are several child safety and practical measures to be taken into account to ensure the safety of your child as well as the practicality of the item. This also applies to other furniture around the home that your child will come intoRead more...
Baby Checklist This handy baby checklist may hep make things a little easier. Please ask any of our friendly staff for assistance with any of these items. The Well Dressed Baby Singlets…… 4-6 Bodysuits… 6 Bonnets…… 2 Jackets/ cardigans…2 Booties…….. 2 Socks……….. 3 Mittens………. 2 Baby wraps…4-6 Shawl…. …….1 Formal Outfits …1 Soft leatherRead more...
Childproofing your home Childproofing your home can be a big task, so we’ve provided these easy-to-read home safety tips. We’ve listed necessary information for helping safeguard against hidden hazards in different rooms. Our room-by-room reference guide helps you to keep what’s most important to you safe – your children. Childproofing The Kitchen There areRead more...
ISOGO is an ISOFIX compatible system for Maxi-Cosi child restraints. As experts in child mobility, Dorel is an international leader in the production and testing of products featuring ISOFIX compatibility. Dorel’s ISOGO is a simple and user friendly latch system that enables parents and care givers to safely connect their Maxi-Cosi child restraints to their vehicle’sRead more...
In Australia Baby Car Seats are mandatory, but not all baby car seats are even! I don’t know any parent who likes to think about the possibility of having a car accident. At the same time you want to do all you can to protect your child in any situation that requires it. Side-impact collisionsRead more...
Baby Swings That Help Babies Sleep Baby Swings can be the most effective sleeping aid for a baby having difficulties sleeping as long as the right type is chosen for your specific needs. Bubs n Grubs continually has lots of people asking if they actually need a baby swing. Inevitably, you will need to rock your baby, inRead more...
Choosing The Right Maternity Wear Bubs n Grubs know too well that one of the most frustrating issues for pregnant mums is the subject of Maternity wear. First of all, there is not much of a selection of maternity wear on the market in Australia that is flattering. Secondly, sizing is confusing. In this articleRead more...
Choosing Cots – Updated 18/01/2020 Babies spend a great deal of time sleeping in their cots. This is perhaps the only place that they spend time where they are not constantly monitored. Even with a good Quality baby monitor, the baby cot must be a very safe haven for your baby. This stillRead more...
How to Choose a High Chair When looking for a suitable High Chair for your child it can be confusing to say the least! Most new parents find it comforting and soothing to nurse their newborn in their arms for the first few months at least. However, when your baby hits the 4-8 monthsRead more...
Breast Feeding Chairs – Why? I was working on our shop floor on the week end and realised that a lot of parents (particularly first timers) were asking one simple question when discussing breast feeding chairs. Why do I actually need a Glider Chair / Breast Feeding Chair? There are so manyRead more...